I’ve noticed an odd trend in the American travel and economic market recently. While this “depression” we’re in has business tycoons and money- fat politicians scared like turkeys in the rain, gas prices have been splendidly low – when I came back to Texas they were $1.40 instead $4.10. Still they tell us we’re in a depression; yet as we slowly claw out of the sinkhole to economic stability (whatever the hell that might mean), gas prices have begun to incline once again. This odd relationship got me to wondering what all the implications were as far as money for climbing was concerned.
Chart I:
Chart I:

As you can see in Chart I, the relationship between gas prices and climbing money is inverse; that is, the higher the price of gas, the less money there is available for climbing. But what about as compared to the economy in general?
Chart II:

Chart II reveals what is to be expected, that with a better economy more funds should be readily available for climbing (pay raises are more likely, and prices for other goods may be more balanced). Now, when we combine these two charts, we’re left with
Chart III:

Here the charts for gas prices and the economy are laid against total money available and total climbing money. What’s most interesting is that as the economy becomes better (increases from econ 1 to econ 2), gas prices increase as well: gp 1 increases to gp 2, negating the beneficence of a better economy. The net result of all this is that no matter the state of the economy, gas prices, or any increase in total funds, the change in dinero available for climbing remains ZERO.
Now that’s depressing.
Dr. C would be proud.
Sadly, this graph never seems to change for the better.
ReplyDelete